Sunday, February 24, 2013

Paleo Challenge: My Reasons, My Goals (Part II)


Now that I’ve sort of worked through the first part of my road to health and fitness, I’d like to relate that to the Paleo lifestyle challenge that I’m doing through my CrossFit box.

So to sort of pick up where I left off, I continued running after college. I even ran a couple of marathons simply to find out if I could finish. I also started reading healthy living blogs during this time, which helped me to develop a good dose of perspective as well as build my repertoire of healthy (or healthier) recipes. Basically, I became obsessed (in a good way) with healthy living blogs. I began to see that there is more than one definition of health and more than one route to living a fit and healthy lifestyle. I was learning how to take the good days with the bad and not worry if I didn’t run 6 days that week. I even started mixing it up a bit by trying to incorporate workout DVDs a few times a week to try to build more strength.

Then, last year for New Year’s Eve my husband (then fiancé) and I went on a trip with a few friends. It was a very laid back trip, so we were all just hanging out watching TV, recovering from a wild and crazy game of drunken bananagrams from the night before, and we came across a CrossFit competition. I was absolutely amazed at the sheer strength and power these women possessed. I thought what they were doing looked freaking impossible (and granted, it still is for me!), but I was intrigued. I was inspired by what they were capable of. Then, through the course of the next year, I started seeing more and more about CrossFit pop up on a lot of the blogs that I read. I also started seeing more and more about the Paleo lifestyle as well. Because I had become so interested in nutrition, and I still kind of thought CrossFit looked too hard for me, I started looking in to Paleo a little bit deeper. I read Robb Wolf’s book, The Paleo Solution,  and I ordered Pracitcal Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, and I decided to give it a shot.

At the most basic level, my personal understanding of Paleo is that human beings have not evolved as quickly as modern agriculture has. That being said, we are not meant to or not able to properly digest grains and dairy and sugars, let alone all of the crazy “ingredients” you’ll find in highly processed “foods,” the consequences of which involve inflammation. And that inflammation can make itself known in a variety of ways, none of which are fun. I’m talking everything from acne to arthritis, bloating, cramping, and possibly even a leaky gut (this stuff can actually put HOLES in your intestines). In addition to inflammation, the SAD (Standard American Diet) wreaks havoc on your blood sugar levels and insulin responses, which is what leads to those highs and lows as far as hunger and energy levels, leading to a vicious cycle, which could ultimately become type II diabetes. Again this is my personal understanding of it, but it’s enough for me to want to make a change in what I put in my body. I began to see that nutrition is much more significant in terms of overall health than gaining or losing weight. (Seems obvious, I know, but I was truly not aware of the depth of nutrition’s influence and the fact that even something as harmless seeming as a bowl of oatmeal affects your body in some way.)

So, armed with this knowledge, I was motivated to stick with it and see if it made a difference in how I felt. Especially because, at the time, I was dealing with some wonky GI issues that I wanted to try to resolve using nutrition rather than medicine. I did it for a while, and I do feel as though my GI issues lessened, if not totally subsided. And initially, I only found it difficult when it came to snacking. Then, for whatever reason, I just kind of stopped and slowly went back to my old ways, processed food and all.

In the meantime, I actually got the balls to try CrossFit. I started in November of 2012, and I’ve loved it so far! I know I still have a long way to go, but I’m learning so much, and I’m so motivated to set new goals. It’s an entirely different kind of challenge than running (obviously), and I’ve never felt stronger. Plus the box I go to is really different. They take the time to teach the specifics of proper form, and they want what’s best for your body, even if it means strict pull-ups over kipping or kipping over butterfly, because the long-term health of your shoulder is more important than shaving a bit of time off your WOD.

I really trust my coaches, so when I saw that one of the coaches was developing a nutrition program or “challenge” based on the Paleo lifestyle, I knew it was the perfect way to get back to healthier eating and better performance in the gym. Plus, it was a group challenge, so we’d have the support of others as we all made the transition together. I’ve already posted a bit about the basics of the challenge here. However, I’ve been getting some mixed feedback. Basically, I’ve been getting a lot of comments from family and friends about how restrictive Paleo seems and how they could never do it.  And if I didn’t know the reasons or the why behind it, I would agree with them! (What, not even oatmeal?! But that’s healthy, right?!) Plus, given my history with running and restrictive eating, none of which is known by the people in my life making the comments above, I can see how this could potentially lead down a bad road.

However, because of this challenge, I have started to learn how to really see food as fuel. I’ve learned about a good balance of macronutrients for me and my body and my goals (which actually include wanting to gain weight in the form of muscle!) I’m not shying away from healthy fats, and I cringe when someone I love talks about making a healthy choice by going for the low fat version of an already processed food. I’m eating more real food than I ever have before. The only things I’ve been keeping in my pantry are the almond butter, nuts and protein powder (which, yes, I realize this isn’t a “real food,” but I see it as a supplement toward my goals). Otherwise, everything is coming from the fridge: meats, veggies, fruit. I haven’t been perfect, but for me that’s not the point. It’s to be better. To be the best version of me I can be. And so far, this Paleo challenge has helped me to do just that.



No comments:

Post a Comment