Wednesday, January 8, 2014

21 Day Sugar Detox

Before having my endoscopy to confirm a diagnosis of celiac disease, I had already decided to try going gluten free, regardless of the results. I had planned to kick-start this new way of eating with the 21-Day Sugar Detox, a program developed by the author of Practical Paleo, Diane Sanfillipo. First of all, it's not what you typically think of when you hear the word "detox." I'm still eating food, and a LOT of it. However, instead of sugary, processed junk it's all whole, real food with NO added sugars and very little fruit and no alcohol for 21 days while you work toward changing your taste for and your habits surrounding sugar.

There are two books tied to this program. The first book is more about the effects of sugar and why it's worthwhile to limit our intake. This book includes three different levels of detox depending on how you're currently eating, and each level contains modifications for various factors. For example, if you are very active (i.e. crossfit!), then she outlines how and when to add more carbs to fuel your body for workouts. So the book has the three levels of detox, each of which outlines yes/no foods for the 21 days as well as foods to eat in moderation and the modifications I mentioned. She also provides each level with a detailed meal plan for the entire 21 days. The rest of the book is a TON of awesome recipes for you to use on the plan. The second book is a cookbook with even more 21 DSD recipes! I only have the first book, but I've been very happy with everything I've made from it so far.

The 21 DSD program kicks off the first Monday of every month. Really, you can begin whenever you'd like, but the support group on facebook and motivational emails follow the first monday of the month timeline. So I started it yesterday. One day down, 20 to go! I can already tell, weeknights and weekends are going to be the most difficult. Otherwise, when I'm at work, I can only eat what I pack, so that should be fine. Everything I read said that the most important step you can take is food/meal prep. If you have healthy choices ready to go and accessible, it should be a breeze! So of course, I hadn't planned on doing any of my grocery shopping until the day before. I had planned on making a day of it: shop in the morning, cook all afternoon. Well, we got several inches of snow the night before this planned day of epic food-making, so I had to risk life and limb to get to Costco, but I was determined to start this! Here's what I made for week one:


Breakfast

  • Tomato Basil Quiche**
  • Green Apple Breakfast Sausage**
  • I like add some kale sauteed in coconut oil or half of an avocado with sea salt to these dishes


Snacks
  • Cinnilla Nut Mix**
  • Veggies with guacamole


Lunch/Dinner
  • Mexi Meatloaf**
  • Balsamic Braised Beef**
  • Ginger Garlic Beef with Broccoli**
  • Lunches for me are usually always leftovers from dinner


Treats



Beverages
Water, coffee, tea, or hot water with lemon

** Means it came from the 21 DSD book.



No comments:

Post a Comment