I started the 21-Day Sugar Detox on the first Monday of the month, like the book suggests you do. You can see the first 5 days of my experience here. Days 6 and 7 were the dreaded first weekend of the detox. I knew these couple of days would be quite a bit more challenging than the weekdays since 1) I was running low of pre-prepped food and would have to make more and 2) I would run in to more situations were temptations were present or 3) I would have to battle the boredom cravings. I know that I sometimes eat out of boredom or anxiety, so I'd have to prep and keep myself busy that weekend in order to avoid a major slip-up.
Well, the boredom thing didn't end up happening. My husband and I ended up judging a 2-day crossfit competition at our gym. It pretty much ran all day on Saturday and a half-day Sunday. However, this also meant less time to prep. It was kind of like a catch-22. But I made it through! Here's the run-down:
Friday night after crossfit, I really wanted to let loose as I mentioned. I wanted to unwind with a glass of wine and chow down on some pizza or something sweet and carby. I stayed strong though and made it through.
Saturday morning I realized too late that we didn't have any more leftovers for me to bring with me to the competition, where I knew I would be stuck all day. I also knew that there would be food available at the competition but I wanted to bring my own for two reasons. 1) Having just been diagnosed with celiac, I had no idea what ingredients would be used and whether or not I would be safe eating any of the available options, and 2) whether or not I'd be tempted to buy something sweet if it was available. I'd rather just not know and stick to what I brought. It ended up that there was some delicious looking smoked meat available, but I still didn't know if a rub was used or if there was a sugary bbq sauce, so I'm glad I brought my own food! I ended up frantically making another batch of the beef with broccoli at 6:30 in the morning!! It came together really quickly and ended up being an easy fix. I just had to put in a little extra effort. At the end of the competition, someone had brought a case of beer for the judges, and it was really hard not to join in on the effort. I think had it not been for celiac, I would have caved on the sugar detox and had a beer! But I knew I couldn't anyway, so I was able to say no. We stopped by the store on the way home from the competition so I could get some sweet potatoes to make a quick, healthy sweet potato and ground beef hash.
Sunday was another half-day of judging, so I was occupied during the morning. I didn't need to bring any food with me, but had leftover sweet potato hash for lunch when we got home. That night I did have chipotle for dinner. I went to their website and discovered, happily, that I can have most of what they offer as long as I avoid their flour tortillas. Yay! I also figured since it was meat, veggies and a little bit of rice that I was within the 21 DSD guidelines. I didn't have any other dressings, etc. so I'm ok with my decision! Later that night I made Bittersweet Hot Chocolate from the 21 DSD book, and it was good! Different, but good. I actually ended up using the leftovers as a sort of creamer for my coffee the next couple of days (it's basically full-fat coconut milk, water, cinnamon and cocoa powder). I sipped on that while watching the Golden Globes with my husband. All-in-all it was a fun weekend, and it ended up being easier to stick to the detox than I thought!
No comments:
Post a Comment