Thursday, January 16, 2014

Supplements for Celiacs

I have been eating completely gluten free for about 2 weeks now. While I understand that it can take months to really start healing, I've also noticed that not a whole lot has changed when it comes to certain, ummm, digestive "issues" we'll call them. (Poo, duh! Sorry if that's TMI, but I also feel like it's a big part of what people with celiac suffer through, so I'm going to mention it.) Basically, I'm no longer running to the bathroom after nearly every meal, but the poo quality still isn't where it should be. If you've ever read Practical Paleo, you'll know what I'm talking about. There's a whole section in her book where Diane Sanfillipo basically breaks down what your poo should look like if everything is working properly. I'm not going to get into details, but let's just say I know I've got a ways to go before my gut heals.

But that got me thinking, what else can I do to help speed the process along? This brought me to the topic of supplementation. What supplements are helpful for newly diagnosed celiacs to get their digestion in check as quickly and healthfully as possible? After some research, I came up with a personal plan. This is in no way meant to be taken as actual medical advice, just something I want to try for myself and see if it helps.

THE SUPPLEMENTS:

L-Glutamine

  • What it is: An amino acid that supports the repair of guy lining and improves gut function.
  • What form: powder. It is tasteless, so I plan to try adding it to hot lemon water in the morning.
  • How much: Diane suggests 2-4 grams in water taken up to twice a day. The directions on the package say 1 rounded teaspoon once or twice a day. I'm guessing that's probably pretty close to the same thing. I will start with 1 rounded teaspoon once a day and see if I need to increase from there.

Magnesium

  • What it is: a mineral that plays a role in more than 300 enzymatic processes in the body. Most people are magnesium deficient.
  • What form: powder. I bought Natural Calm Plus Calcium. It's a raspberry lemon flavored powder that I plan to mix into hot water in the evenings. 
  • How much: The package suggests 1-1.5 rounded teaspoons twice per day at least 5 hours apart. Diane suggests that people who weigh less than 130 should begin at the lower end of the range. I plan to start with 1/2 teaspoon and then proceed from there.

Digestive Enzymes
  • What it is: enzymes help the small intestines break down food in order to make it easier for the body to absorb nutrients. You may need digestive enzymes if you experience food in your stool, floating stools, oily stools or gas and bloating after meals, among other symptoms. 
  • What form: capsule. 
  • How much: The package recommends one capsule with every meal. That's what I plan to (try to remember to) do.

Probiotics
  • What it is: bacteria that can help restore the balance of good bacteria in your digestive tract to improve intestinal function and the integrity of the gut lining.
  • What form: capsule
  • How much: The package suggests up to three capsules a day. I think it will be easiest for me to remember if I take the probiotics and the digestive enzymes together at each meal. 

So, there you have it. These are the four things I plan to try to help improve my digestion. I will be interested to see how it all works out, and I will keep you posted!








No comments:

Post a Comment