Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Getting My Greens
I'm pretty sure every food photo I upload (at least for a while) will have these same placemats in them. My husband and I are fairly new homeowners, and I am currently finishing up a second degree = no money and/or time to be spending on making this house a home.
Anywho ... check out that breakfast!! I'm so excited that I've finally decided to put some effort into adding more greens to my day. It's one of those things where I know I should do it, but the actual doing is just slow to come around. I make the egg casserole (that awesome-looking yellow square) on Sundays so I can just grab a hunk and zap it in the microwave each morning. For the greens I'll throw two big handfuls in a bowl and pour about a tablespoon of olive oil over them. Then I'll kind of work the oil into the greens with my hands. While I'm doing this, I'm letting the pan I'm going to be using get warmed up over medium heat on the burner. Once the greens are good and covered, I add them to the pan without adding any extra oil to the pan. Then I basically just let them cook on the stove top until they're wilted and soft. About halfway through cooking, I'll add a bit of salt and garlic powder to taste. And about 3/4 of the way through cooking, I'll add slivered almonds. I continue cooking until the almonds start to look toasty (very precise, I know). In all, it probably takes about 10-15 minutes including the greens prep, but it's worth it. I end up feeling satisfied but not stuffed. And I feel good about making healthier choices. Win-win.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment