Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chocolate Protein Bake and 21 DSD


*Adapted from Oxygen Magazine's Cranberry Breakfast Mug

This is the recipe I mentioned last week. As far as the 21 DSD goes, I don't know if it really fits, but it's good and it's filling, two very important things for me since I'm basically a bottomless pit.

3 egg whites
2 Tbsp almond milk (unsweetened)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of gluten free oat flour (yes, this also is probably a no-no)
1 Tbsp of almond meal
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1/4 tsp of baking powder
Small handful of sliced almonds

Mix the wet ingredients together. Mix the dry ingredients together. Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well because it will be sort of lumpy at first. Here you can fold the almonds into your "batter.
Then pour your "batter" into a microwave safe dish (Oxygen says a mug, I say a bowl is probably a safer bet since it actually makes quite a lot) and microwave for approximately 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I then usually flip it onto a plate and microwave it upside down for another 20-30 seconds because the bottom won't quite be done. After I flip it, I cut it into bite size pieces and drizzle some almond butter on each piece with my fork. Delicious!

As far as the 21 DSD, here's where I'm at. I fell off the wagon big time this weekend. Not so much with a ton of cookies or sweets or anything like that. It was the wine! And that pizza I already mentioned. Aaaaannnd a small piece of chocolate. So, apparently this challenge is going to be even harder than I thought. I'd still like to do it, but at this point I'm not sure if that means starting all over from day 1 or if I should just pick up where I left off. Today has started off well. Breakfast consisted of sauteed garlic greens with almonds and smoked salmon.

I know what I'm going to say next sounds like I'm just looking for a way to cheat, but I've also thought about sticking to the challenge during the week and then allowing for a little more leeway on the weekends. I think it would help me to avoid more sweets overall (a.k.a. NOT have dessert every night), and it would be a more sustainable, attainable and realistic goal for me. I'm human. And it's all about moderation, right? When I caved and had that piece of chocolate, my husband was standing there, and he goes, "chocolate, huh?" I responded, "on the weekends!" And he said, "that sounds much healthier." I can see how he might see this whole plan or idea as too restrictive, a slippery slope. I can also see how anyone reading this would say "it's just three weeks! And moderation aside, how is avoiding sugar NOT healthy?" But I think this might be a good way for me to think about it. Eat as healthy as I can during the week and enjoy a few small treats on the weekends. Seems more enjoyable, and it seems like something I'd continue beyond 21 days. So I guess what I'm saying is, if moderation is failure on this 21 DSD, then I'm OK with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment